Wednesday 9 December 2009

So I've spent most of the day feeling sick. So I stop drawing the threads on the screws of this technical drawing, and spend a few minutes laying on the floor. Whilst Paula Cole tells me how he make her feel like a sticky pistol. And I stare into my mirror and mime a few of the words and then decide it's probably best to go and buy some cake.

And so I decide to walk to Starbucks, and as I'm walking it's really cold, and I pull the hood of my royal, blue summer, Ralph jersey up. And I'm thinking, this hood is pretty cool, I mean, it's pretty big and that's pretty cool. And then at the counter I order a latte, even though the coffee isn't that great, and I tell the woman to get me some cake, and she does. And then I walk home.

And on the walk home I'm thinking...mainly about feeling sick, and it's pretty shit, and then I start to think about my health and then I remember I haven't actually been to the gym in like, I don't know, six months? And its ok really cos I can't afford a four hundred and fifty pound membership, but then I cant really afford a six pounds coffee with a piece of cake. And I cant really afford to do anything much.

And then I get home, the handyman opens the door and I just stare at him. And when I eventually get to my apartment, I realise my coffee is cold, so I find a place for the cup on my mantel, with the piles of books. And then I lay on the floor and I just can't bring myself to finish drawing the threads on the screews of this office block...and so now I'm thinking, if I don't draw them, they wont get made, and if they don't get made then they wont be put in the building, and really, without these screws lots of people could die. And it's all a bit to much to think about, especially at four in the afternoon. So I have a nap.

1 comment:

Tim in the City of Angles said...

I agree with you regarding cake. Especially when you're sick. Cake cures a number of ills, just ask Marie Antoinette... ok, bad example, bad example. But the concept is sound.

Regarding the screws, I wouldn't worry about them too much. I've spent my life in construction and if you don't do it, someone else will, because there is never enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it over. You'll get sacked, of course. But isn't that what you want?